Serve this spicy sauce alongside grilled chicken or pork. If fresh rhubarb is not available, substitute an equal amount of frozen rhubarb.
Makes 3 cups.
- 4 cups sliced rhubarb (from 1¼ pounds rhubarb)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 large McIntosh apple, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup dried currants
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
1. In a large saucepan, stir together the rhubarb, onion, apple, bell pepper, honey, currants, vinegar, ginger, mustard seeds, black pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the mixture is thick, about 20 minutes.
2. Cool to room temperature. Store the chutney in the refrigerator.
Nutrition per ⅓ cup: 90 calories, 0g total fat (0g saturated), 3g dietary fiber, 23g carbohydrate, 1g protein, 130mg sodium.
A good source of: fiber, potassium, vitamin C.